Management Advisory Committee (MAC)
The Management Advisory Committee (MAC) is an advisory and decision-making forum that supports the Secretary General in the management of the Department. The Committee is chaired by the Secretary General, Niall Burgess and membership comprises the Deputy Secretary General, Assistant Secretaries based in Ireland, and four officers at the Counsellor/equivalent grade. The Committee assists the Secretary General in the formulation and management of policies and programmes as well as in the development and improved performance of the organisation. The Committee also decides on assignments within the Department, at home and abroad, other than at Assistant Secretary and Head of Mission levels.
The Committee meets fortnightly. Other Departmental officials attend MAC meetings periodically to brief and participate in discussions on topical developments in their areas of responsibility.
The MAC also meets periodically with the Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade and the Department’s Ministers of State to consider strategic policy and management direction. Such meetings are in addition to on-going interaction between Ministers, members of the MAC and other senior officials.
The current members of the Committee are:
- Mr. Niall Burgess, Secretary General
- Ms. Geraldine Byrne Nason, Second Secretary General, HOM, Paris
- Mr. John Conlon, Chief Financial Officer, Finance and Procurement Unit
- Mr. Kevin Conmy, Director, Western Europe, Europe Division
- Mr. Michael Gaffey, Director General, Development Cooperation Directorate
- Ms. Caitríona Ingoldsby, Director, Consular Services
- Mr. James Kingston, Legal Adviser, Legal Division
- Ms. Síle Maguire, Chief of Protocol
- Mr. Eamonn McKee, Director General, Trade & Promotion Division
- Ms. Alison Milton, Director, Humanitarian Unit, DCD
- Mr. Fergal Mythen, Director General, Corporate Services Division
- Mr. Eoin O'Leary, Director General, Europe Division
- Mr. Adrian O'Neill, Second Secretary General, Director General, Anglo-Irish Division
- Mr. Barrie Robinson, Political Director, Political Division