St. Patrick’s Day 2019 around Spain
Event08 March 2019
- Cabo Roig will once again this year celebrate St. Patrick’s Day during the weekend of 16-17 March, with a parade, music, dance, floats, vintage cars and lot of activities for children. Please see the link to their Facebook page for more information.
- La Romana in Alicante will be celebrating St. Patrick’s Day with Celtic band Bardoi who will be playing in “Lukey’s Bar”, C/Jaime 1, on Friday 8March at 20.30. Tickets cost €10 including a buffet dinner. Booking required – please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- On Sunday 17 March, Mediterrània Irish Dance School will be celebrating St. Patrick's Day in Barcelona, at the Centre Artesà Tradicionàrius. The parade will start at 11.30 in front of the building, and will follow a route through the streets of Gracia with live music and dance. At 12.00 the students of the school will perform a dance show in the Tradicionàrius theatre. A traditional lunch with Irish stew and Guinness will be available from 13.00. The day’s festivities will finish up with a concert and a céili with the group Far.
- Iomramh Cultural Association and Irish in Barcelonapresent the 10th Mediterranean Currach Regatta on Sunday 17 March. It will be a sporting and cultural event featuring three Connemara style rowing boats built by artist Mark Redden and will be a great opportunity to showcase Irish culture with Bauma’s traditional music, Aires Celtes, Nuala Barcelona Irish Dancers; Irish food and drink and drink will also be available. There will be plenty of entertainment for children from 12.00 to 15.00, with a toddlers play area by Mamma Proof and an art workshop with Koala Art for Kids, as well as face painting and magic balloons! Everyone is welcome along.
- On Saturday March 16 from 10:30 - 20:00 there will be St. Patrick's Day celebrations at Can Basté Civic Center. There will be lots of fun-filled activities throughout the day, the event is free and open to the public. Street party starts at 10:30 with live music and street performance by "InTrobaVeritas" band, followed by medieval and celtic dances workshop. There will also be face painting, celtic hair braiding, games and entertainment for all the family. The Nuala Irish Dancers show starts at 12:30 at Plaza de Can Basté, followed by a learn-to-Irish-dance workshop: all ages welcome, no experience necessary! Festivities continue on Sunday March 17 at 11:30 – 14:00 with Irish Dance Against Alzheimer's (Moll de les Drassanes, in front of 'Las Golondrinas'). This will be a charity Irish céilí dancing marathon by the port of Barcelona to raise money in the fight against Alzheimer's disease. All proceeds will go to Fundació Pasqual Maragall. La Secció de Ball Esportiu del Port and the Nuala Irish Dancers will be there to teach the steps, absolutely no experience necessary! For further details on more activities please see this link
- Kitty O’Shea’s Street Party will be taking place on Saturday 16 March, from 11.30-17h.
LagunCARA Irish Basque Association will be celebrating St. Patrick’s Day this year, starting with the St. Patrick’s Eve parade and the greening of the San Mamés stadium. For all the details please see the following link.
On Friday 15 March in San Fernando, Cádiz, in the Castillo de San Romualdo, historian Lourdes Márquez Carmona is organising a series of lectures from 18.00 onwards, and the evening will finish off with a concert. For more details on the titles of the conferences etc please see the following link
Academia Blue Door in Córdoba will be celebrating St. Patrick’s Day with its students this year. For more information please see link attached.
Al igual que en los últimos dieciocho años, el sur de Gran Canaria se tiñó de verde para celebrar la fiesta nacional de Irlanda. En la zona conocida como “Irish Center” de San Bartolomé de Tirajana, el día comenzó con una misa en inglés en el Templo Ecumenico iluminado de verde, para trasladar la fiesta al escenario frente al Hotel Greenfield, también bañado de luz verde, con música en directo por grupos musicales como el celta Rakish y varios más.
A las 7 de la tarde se celebró el acto institucional con interpretación de los himnos de Irlanda y España y lectura en español e inglés del mensaje del Presidente Higgins. El Cónsul General Víctor Aúz y el Alcalde Marco Antonio Pérez entregaron los premios concedidos por la Asociación Amiplay a la Empresa Elsafe por su contribución a la seguridad de la zona y a las familias Joyce y Dunworth por llevar más de treinta años alojándose en los hoteles de la zona.
Celebrations for St. Patrick’s Day will start on Friday 15 March at 12.00 with a hurling game on the beach of Puerto del Carmen. On Saturday 16 March at 17.00 there will be Irish music and dance in Matagorda. On Sunday 17 March there will be a mass at 11.00 in the Church of our Lady of Lourdes, followed by a parade at 13.00 which will start from the outskirts of the Tourist Information Office on Avenida de Las Playas to Plaza del Varadero, where the festivities will continue.
The Centre of Irish Studies Banna/Bond (EFACIS) at the University of La Rioja will be celebrating St. Patrick’s Day this year by hosting an international seminar – Irish Itinerary 2019 (EFACIS) – and an exhibition entitled ‘The Irish in Latin America’. They will also be organising a poster competition on ‘St. Patrick's Day, Guinness and Women in Irish Culture’. For more information on all the activities please see this link.
- Irish Treble will be kicking off the St. Patrick’s Day Celebrations in Madrid in the Sala Galileo Galilei on Friday 8 March at 21.00, with a very special concert of traditional Irish music and dance. Tickets can be purchased here at this link
- Florida Retiro in Retiro Park Madrid & Fever Up Events Company is organising a St. Patrick's Day party. It will be a themed party, with live DJs. More information on how to buy tickets can be found on the link.
- A group of Irish-language enthusiasts are getting together for a couple of hours of Irish-speaking between 19.30-21.30 on Saturday 16 March in Cafe Universal, Calle del Principe de Vergara, Parque Berlin. All are welcome along.
- The SIBN are organising a St. Patrick’s Day picnic on Sunday 17 March, in Hoyo de Manzanares (Área Recreativa de la Cabilda), from 12-16.00. Please note that there is no food and drink available for purchase but you are welcome to bring your own picnic along.
- The Madrid Harps GAA Invitational Tournament will be taking place on Saturday 16 March, with teams travelling from Ireland, England and other parts of Spain to participate. Kick-off is at 11.30 in Hortaleza Rugby Club (XV Hortaleza R.C., Av. de las Piceas, 13, 28043 Madrid). Both ladies and mens matches will be played there. Please note that the GAA Family Day in Parque Deportivo in Puerta de Hierro will not be taking place this year due to scheduling difficulties with the venue.
- The Irish Rover in Madrid will be celebrating St. Patrick’s Day with groups like The Colonials and U2 tribute band Sunday Cover Sunday. For more information on activities please see the link
Costa del Sol
- Jameson Little Ireland will be celebrating St. Patrick’s Day on Saturday 16 March in 5 different locations in Málaga, from 17.00 onwards. There will be live music, food and drink. Please see link for more information
- On Sunday 17 March at 12.30, there will be a mass in the church of San Patricio (Obispo de Málaga) to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. As is customary, members of the Irish Community in Málaga will participate. Father Adrián Troncoso will celebrate the mass which will be said in both English and Spanish. The Gregoriana Malacitana choir will also participate.
- Torremolinos and Benalmadena
The Irish Association of Spain has worked with the Ayuntamientos in Torremolinos and Benalmadena to bring a weekend of music, fun and celebration. In Torremolinos, there is a two day event in Plaza de la Nogalera, which kicks off on Saturday 16 and Sunday 17 at 13.00 and will run until 18.00 each day. In Benalmadena, the celebrations start on Sunday 17th March at 13.00 in the Mezquita Square and will go on until 19.00
The Marbella celebrations are being coordinated by the Claddagh Irish Bar which is located across the road from Parque de la Constitucion and with thanks to the Ayuntamiento this will be the venue for much of the activities as has been the case in previous years. The park will host a stage from where there will be plenty of live music. There will be plenty of Irish food and refreshments on offer throughout the day and a chance to win a trip to Ireland with thanks to Tourism Ireland.
- La Cala de Mijas
In the square in front of the Ayuntamiento, further celebrations will be happening from after 13.00. There will be lots of singing, dancing and face painting for the children. Members of the Costa Gaels GAA team will also be there on the day.
On its sixth year of celebrations, CEIP Carlos I will mark St. Patrick’s Day with a special Cultural Week, which will start on 11 March and finish up with the St. Patrick´s Gymkhana on March 15.
Celebrations in Tenerife will start on March 9 with a book launch by Eduardo Cabrera titled “O’Daly, Historia de un Irlandés” at 11.00 in the Ayuntamiento de Santa Cruz de La Palma. On 13 March the Gala Dinner Dance Casa Club del Golf Costa Adeje, organised by the Irish community, will start at 19.00. Tickets cost €40 and can be purchased by contacting Noelle Corridan on 633399827. On March 14 at 11.00 there will be a charity music concert in the Asociación San Juan de Adeje and that evening at 19.00 in the Ayuntamiento there will be a theatrical guided tour titled “Irlandeses en Santa Cruz de La Palma: comercio, plítica y religion”. In La Palma (Plaza San Francisco) on March 15 Celtas Cortos will be playing at 20.30. On March 16 there will be Irish breakfast available at Sala La Recova (€3), followed by St. Patrick’s Day for children in Plaza de España at 11.00 and a concert at 13.00. Mass will be taking place on Sunday 17 March at the Iglesia de Playa de Las Américas. And last but not least, the Plaza de España in the centre of Adeje will be going green from 15-17 March.
This year once again Tortosa will be celebrating St. Patrick’s Day, starting on Thursday March 14 in the Parador Hotel with a local business dinner. On Friday 15March,there will be an evening of Irish music in the indoor Market Place with tapas, Guinness and Irish-themed market stalls. Festivities will continue on Saturday 16March with morning activities in and around the market which will include a flag display by the Tortosa Abanderats, followed by a parade with bagpipers leading the march. Everyone is being encouraged to dress up in green. During the week of Saint Patrick, the local shops in Tortosa will enter into a competition where they will be judged on their Irish-themed window displays. Throughout the week, the Old Bridge over the River Ebro will be lit in green, as will the market place and the Town Hall. On Sunday 17 March, there will be a public open-air Irish breakfast at the theatre, followed by a performance of the Castellers Human Towers who will build a human tower of over one hundred participants with the “enxaneta” rising to the top carrying and displaying the Flag of Ireland!
The Valencia Irish Cultural Association (VICA) are organising the 2019 St. Patrick’s Day Parade and Festival which will take place on Sunday 17 March from 11.30-14.30, in Tinglado 2, an iconic location in the Puerto de Valencia. There will be children´s activities throughout the morning, including face-painting and flag-making. Live folk and traditional music from VICA members, and special guests, will feature on the stage. There will be Irish dancing workshops and displays of both step and céili dancing. Valencia Sant Vicent GAA club will organise matches of Gaelic football and hurling, open to all participants. There will be various Irish food brands available. In addition, Fórás na Gaeilge and Conradh na Gaeilge will have a strong presence and Gaeilge will be heard and spoken, along with English, Spanish and of course Valencian. The second annual St Patrick´s parade will start at 12.00 and will be led by a Grand Marshal, accompanied by pipes and bodhráns. Representatives of all Irish societies and businesses in the region are invited to take part. Traditional music concerts and sessions will continue throughout the day and into the night in a number of venues across the city and province. For a full listing of these events and more, please see the website.
Aires Celtas will air a special programme on their radio cannel dedicated to St. Patrick´s Day, and will play tunes from a selection of Irish artists like The Casey Sisters, The House Devils, Flook, Éilís Kennedy, Allan Henderson, Sean Tyrell, Kevin Glackin, Ronan Browne, The Friel Sisters and Lúnasa, to mention but a few.