St. Patrick's Day in Spain 2021
News11 March 2021
St. Patrick's Day 2021 Spain
- Join the Embassy in Madrid for our virtual reception on the 17 March at 10h to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day here
- Our Tourism Ireland office are delighted to bring you a virtual event on 17 March at 20h titled ‘St. Patrick's Day at Home with Tourism Ireland’. It will be a 90-minute broadcast from three pubs in Dublin, Belfast and Dingle in County Kerry. There will be a great mix of traditional and modern Irish music and dance, and it will be streamed through their Facebookand YouTubechannels and via their website, with the event also including footage of the landmarks around the globe that are turning green for St Patrick’s Day. A key segment of the event will come via the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin. Riverdance – the academy will also provide a dance class with two dancers from the iconic show’s cast, and you can actively join in with the tunes during the broadcast, as a mini music academy will teach you how to play the spoons. The hour and a half of pure St. Patrick's Day cheer will let the Irish community worldwide celebrate from the comfort of their own homes, with all event organisation ‘Covid-19 proofed’ and created according to social distancing regulations. In the lead up to the big day, keep a watch on the hashtag #StPatricksDayAtHome and Tourism Ireland’s social channels for other ways to get involved, including a St Patrick's Day costume competition.
- LagunCarawill be organising an online céilí to celebrate St Patrick's Day on Wednesday 17 March 2021. It will be take place via zoom from 20.30h to 22.00h (CET). You can join in either as a spectator, or as an active participant presenting your own party piece (a song, a poem, a joke, a story etc) of approximately 2- 5 minutes. If you are interested in joining the event, please send an email to email@example.com describing your party piece. A zoom invitation will be sent to you on the day. Please see their webpage for further details.
On St. Patrick's Day, the Iomramh Association in Barcelona will celebrate the launch of a new currach, the iconic traditional rowing boat of Ireland, which Irish artist Mark Redden has built from salvaged materials during the pandemic. She is destined to help combat plastic pollution in the sea by serving as a scientific research vessel. The boat, named Saoirse, or Hope in Irish, will be carried to the sea from Mark's studio in Sant Andreu (c/Espronceda 326, nave 12). The small procession will bring the currach to the water in front of Base Nàutica, Mar Bella beach. They will leave the studio at 13.30h and reach the water at 16h with a live video on instagram @iomramh. More details about the project can be seen @iomramh on Instagram and @currachrowingbarcelona on Facebook.
- El Arpa Media will be hosting an online event to celebrate our national day with the participation of Madrid-based Irish actor Denis Rafter, as well as Irish musicians living in Madrid and members of the pop-up Gaeltacht group. They have partnered up with the Electronic Dictionary of the Irish Language (eDIL), who will be providing illustrated slides of historical Irish words related to Spain. They will also recite a Tagore poem translated by Yeats, accompanied by Indian dancing. The free event will be pre-recorded, but they will be uploading the video on their YouTube on 17 March at 20h here https://tinyurl.com/44fazqz7.
- From Embassy Madrid we asked members of our team to share some of their favourite songs by Irish Artists as a virtual way of celebrating St. Patrick's Day. Over the next few days, we will be tweeting links to all their suggestions and creating a Playlist to get everyone in the mood for this year’s virtual celebration. We have added all of them, and many more, to an #SPDPlaylist available here.
And in case you missed out on our recent online events, please find the links here:
Irish Women in Literature - A conversation with Prof. Emilie Pine - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC0b822LRDY&feature=youtu.be.
The Salamanca Diaries - Father McCabe and the Spanish Civil War - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nLwpBQdrF8&feature=youtu.be